- 300g white sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 240ml milk
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 40g cocoa powder
- 120ml hot water
- 310g plain flour
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 110g margarine
- Preheat oven to Gas mark 4 (175 degrees C or 350 degrees F)
- Grease a 9" round cake tin
- Cream margarine and sugar together
- Add vanilla and eggs and beat together
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in another bowl.
- Add the lemon juice to the milk.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to the creamed mixture and beat well.
- Mix the cocoa powder with the hot water and beat into the batter.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a needle comes out of the cake clean.
I sandwiched this with vanilla buttercream and iced the top and sides with a fudge topping.
- 75g margarine
- 150g icing sugar
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- Cream fat
- Gradually add icing sugar and cream together
- Add vanilla and mix in well
- Cut the cake into two and spread out cream to sandwich
- 50g margarine
- 1tbsp milk
- 100g icing sugar
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- Melt fat and milk together
- Mix in sugar and cocoa powder and blend well
- Pour icing on cake and spread neatly over top and sides of cake
And there you have it; one celebration fudge cake!