12 April 2009

Easter Weekend with a chocolate fondant

So this weekend has been a busy one, even though I don't have much photographic proof of everything.

Friday was probably the least eventful, although we did manage to plan about half the colour schemes for the rooms of the house, based on stuff we'd seen before but looking better at the paint in B&Q. I did manage to get a cheap copy of The Gentle Art of Domesticity though, so that was great.

On Saturday, I managed to get loads done. I baked two batches of hot cross buns (one normal, one chocolate). They both should have been kneaded more as they've come out quite heavy but they're not bad for a first attempt. I also made a cake and managed to get the ironing done, as well as some other random tasks around my mum's house.

Today was probably the best though. Watched Doctor Who (brilliant!) and the Dark Knight, knitted a lot (should be finished the mitts soon) and then did dinner consisting of baked lamb (Delia Smith's recipe from March Good Food magazine) with glazed carrots and Spanish potatoes from the same issue. The lamb tasted nice, although I really wouldn't do the wine reduction again, the carrots were good and the potatoes would be better with something else and cooked properly. I followed up with chocolate fondant though (again, from the same magazine) and these were brilliant, if I do say so myself! Tasted quite a lot like Gu puddings and actually pretty easy to make. I shall definitely by doing these again...so I'll just put the recipe right here!

Chocolate Fondant
Serves 4

Ingredients
100g butter (I used margarine)
100g dark chocolate (around 70% cocoa solids stuff - I used some Madagascan stuff from Aldi)
80g sugar
20g plain flour
2 large eggs
cocoa powder

1. Preheat oven to gas mark 6
2. Grease 4 200ml ramekins and dust with cocoa powder
3. Melt chocolate and butter together in a bowl over simmering water and leave to cool for 5 minutes
4. Whisk together eggs, flour and sugar until smooth
5. Fold in chocolate mix
6. Divide mixture into ramekins, place on baking tray and cook in the oven for minutes or until just set on top.
7. Turn out and serve with vanilla ice cream

Tomorrow will be leftovers with roast potatoes when my brother comes round. House stuff too

0 comments: