12 July 2009

Obsessions

I've realised recently that I have several obsessions.  Obviously, there are some I worked out a long time ago (yarn, yarn, yarn and yarn...oh, and maybe knitting with the yarn) and there are some that have eased a little (stockings, corsets, underwear...well, they've eased a little) but there are one's that have definitely been there a while, just quietly, without me realising.  Some women have shoes and bags (I have a lot but I don't think I'm obsessive...well, maybe a little) but I have cardigans and shawls.  

Shawls are something that I love the look of and I enjoy the concept of knitting them, I just don't ever seem to get round to it.  I've got a pretty reasonable selection of laceweight and 4 ply yarn that I want to knit into various shawls and shawlettes but it just never happens.  I will try and get on to knitting some of them when I've got time to start another 'big' project.  I've got a few in mind and lots of inspiration.

Cardigans are where my biggest obsession lies though.  I'm not even just talking about handknitted ones.  Or patterns for ones.  I adore looking at cardigans in shops, mentally pulling them apart and making a decision whether they're worth the money for the yarn content, construction etc.  If I don't think I could make it, I'll probably buy it.  And then there's all the cardigans I lust to knit.  There's at least 3 in Spring 2009 IWK alone, never mind the endless free patterns from Knitty, Knotions etc.  I love the things.  I love wearing them, I love looking at them and I love to own them.  I like jumpers but cardigans are much more useful for me.  Easy to take off and throw on, they can be like a jacket in late Spring or early Autumn, or can be layered in Winter...much better for the silly varying weather of the UK.  

I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to realise how much I love the cardigan...looking at my full wardrobe would make it seem very obvious.  Although, looking at my knitting, you wouldn't think at much.  I'm still knitting the Lucky Clover.  I'm onto the second sleeve.  It's not even a complicated pattern, once you get your head round it.  I just think I'm being slowed by the thought that even once I get the knitting finished, I still won't be able to wear it.  I've got to block the pieces and seam them together and the concept is daunting to say the least.  But at least when I'm done, I could think about knitting the other 2 cardigans I have the yarn for!

PS On a final note about obsession, I think I've realised that I am a tad obsessed by Doctor Who/Torchwood.  I know too much trivia about the shows and I get way too upset/annoyed when there are plot twists that don't go the way I want them to.  I should probably get out more and find myself a life!

1 comments:

tiffibug said...

I too am a member of the Cardigan Club. They are without a doubt, my favorite item of clothing.